POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Access to Already Declared Objects? : Re: SDL Access to Already Declared Objects? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Access to Already Declared Objects?
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 24 Mar 2004 16:20:00
Message: <4061fb80@news.povray.org>
> The location of all objects is <0,0,0> until acted on by translations /
> rotations.  The final location is the sum of these transformations.

sphere { y*10,1 } is located at the origin? Well Real Life (tm) is not
logical, either, so why not :)

About your particle system: You have to keep in mind that there may be
objects in the scene which have nothing to do with your system. To
seperate them from the ones your system interacts with you need a flag
for each object... Not really a nice and clean solution.

Normally I use something like this in such cases:

#declare System_Environment = object { SomeObject }

Or use an array of such environments if you want to give each
environment specific properties (in a particle system, that might be
things like friction, damping, etc.).

This method has another advantage: The objects your system works with
don't have to be part of the scene. That might sound strange, but
sometimes it's a handy thing to have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a syntax like the one you described
(and I'd like write-access, too *g*). But in most cases you can use a
pretty clean workaround.

HTH,
Florian